Schevo 3.0 Beta2
Schevo project is a next-generation DBMS that focuses on the following: - Database Integrity: Schevo is designed from the ground u
Schevo project is a next-generation DBMS that focuses on the following:
- Database Integrity: Schevo is designed from the ground up to protect your data. All changes to a Schevo database must be done using transactions, and Schevo ensures that those transactions always leave the database in a consistent state.
- Rapid Development: Schevo includes features to make it easy and fun to create even the most complex of databases. Not only is the schema syntax easy to write and understand, you can also quickly place initial values in your schema that are required by your database, and use the same syntax to create sets of sample data to use during development.
- User Interface Generation: Schevo provides user interface toolkits that take advantage of the richness of the database schema. You can use the full-featured Schevo Navigator to interact with your database without writing a single line of code outside of your database schema. A PyQt-based toolkit is already available, and TurboGears and NuFox toolkits are in the works.
- Rich Schema Definition: The schema for a Schevo database is written in concise, easy-to-read Python code. Not only does the schema describe how information in the database is structured, but also defines all transactions and rules that ensure database integrity.
- Assisted Schema Evolution: Once a Schevo database is deployed and is used to store valuable data, you will inevitably make further changes to the structure of the database. Schevo assists you in this task and makes it easy to restructure a database and facilitate the migration of data from one schema version to the next.
The main problem that Schevo was designed to address is that Relational databases, which use Structured Query Language (SQL), do not match well with object-oriented programming languages, such as Java, Python and Ruby.
This situation has been labeled the "object-relational impedance mismatch" problem, and it is a significant barrier to the rapid development and evolution of database applications.
Because of this mismatch, database applications tend to have three distinct layers of code: SQL within the database, object-oriented code within the application, and an object-relational mapping (ORM) layer to mediate between the SQL and the object language.
These extra layers add additional complexity and inflexibility to what are already complex and inflexible databases. Schevo eliminates these extra layers.
Schevo solves the object-relational impedance mismatch problem by combining relational features with the object-oriented programming language Python.
A database schema defined in Schevo results in a database that enforces the same integrity constraints supported by the Relational model, with the added benefit of Python objects.
The benefit of this is that application developers can create their entire application using the full power of the Python language without having to introduce another language (SQL) that has its own language constructs, its own datatypes, and a limited set of behavior. Instead, a Schevo database stores Schevo objects which use native Python datatypes and include any behavior defined for those objects.
In addition, Schevo objects contain a great deal of metadata that is available for introspection to support the development of rich user interfaces with a minimal amount of code.
In fact, Schevo includes a GUI Navigator that can display a fully interactive interface into any Schevo database. The Navigator is constructed on-the-fly based solely on the metadata available within the Schevo database file.
The Navigator allows you to display, create, update, and delete any object within the database, within the rules and constraints defined for that database.
What's New in This Release:
tags the database schevo database within the the object the schema your database database schema object oriented object relational database applications impedance mismatch relational impedance mismatch problem
Download Schevo 3.0 Beta2
Other software in this category
- Desktop Environment
- Science and Engineering
- Text Editing&Processing