Nexedi Desktop Linux Server 10.0 RC1
Nexedi Desktop Linux Server (DLS) is a LiveCD which instantly provides 500+ Linux Desktop applications to all PCs in a Local Area Net
Nexedi Desktop Linux Server (DLS) is a LiveCD which instantly provides 500+ Linux Desktop applications to all PCs in a Local Area Network (LAN).
It is compatible with Windows, MacOS, Unix or GNU/Linux environments as well as with eBox thin clients. Nexedi DLS also includes a complete network infrastructure solution (file server, mail server, collaboration server, directory service, etc.) based on modern protocols (ex. LDAP, Samba 3, IMAP, etc.).
Nexedi DLS Live CD allows small and medium size organisations to implement a high end Linux desktop and network infrastructure solution in one minute.
Nexedi DLS is a LiveCD: it requires no installation. Simply insert the LiveCD in any PC, turn on the PC and choose the boot from CD option.
After about one minute, a complete Mandrakelinux server is ready to serve thin clients and provide file sharing, directory, messaging and collaboration services to your entire network. Enter your network information through a simple web based interface.
You can now access all Nexedi Desktop Linux Server features from any other PC in the same local network.
Nexedi DLS LiveCD can be used from any standard PC based on x86 architecture (Pentium, Athlon, Opteron, etc.). 512 MB RAM is recommended to serve a few users. 1024 MB and a fast CPU (Pentium IV, Pentium M, Athlon, Opteron, etc.) is recommended to server 10 simultaneous users.
Nexedi DLS applications are multiple. Some applications are based on DLS acting as a complement to existing infrastructure. Other applications are based on DLS acting as a replacement to existing infrastructure.
* Office and Productivity: many Mandrakelinux applications can be very useful as a complement to existing Windows or Macintosh environments. Installing a single DLS server allows in a network allows everyone to access those applications without requiring any complex software installation or setup.
* Internet Security: by placing a DLS server in the DMZ of an organisation, it is possible to protect all PCs in a local network from viruses or spyware. Internet applications are launched on the DLS server and accessed by users through tightVNC from Windows or Macintosh PCs. Internet attacks might compromise the DLS server but will not be able to access sensitive data on users' PCs. This architecture is similar to having two physical networks, one for internal uses, one for internet access, but at a much lower cost.
* Software Development Box: a single DLS server can be used as a shared multi-platform software development by Windows or Macintosh users. Mandrakelinux includes many advanced integrated development environments (IDE) which can be used to produce GUI, Web or embedded applications.
* Network Administration Box: a single DLS server can be used as a shared network administration environment. Mandrakelinux includes many advanced and free network administration tools.
* Thin Client Server: Nexedi DLS is a multi-protocol thin client server and gateway. A typical DLS server can handle 10 simultaneous sessions. Thin clients can use the VNC, tightVNC or XDMCP protocols to access a complete desktop session. Any DLS session can access other thin client protocols (RDP, X11, NX, etc.). Nexedi DLS also includes various emulators and virtualizers which allow to run Windows and Macintosh applications directly.
tags dls server nexedi dls applications are single dls server can thin clients thin client network administration the dls existing infrastructure server and mandrakelinux includes many advanced
Download Nexedi Desktop Linux Server 10.0 RC1
Other software in this category
- Desktop Environment
- Science and Engineering
- Text Editing&Processing