Progeny Debian 3.0 Preview 2 reviewDownload
Progeny Debian 3.0 is the continuation of the popular commercial product published by Progeny in 2001 and is based on Progeny Compone
Progeny Debian 3.0 is the continuation of the popular commercial product published by Progeny in 2001 and is based on Progeny Componentized Linux.
Progeny Debian 3.0 Developer Edition is an example distribution based on Componentized Linux. It is essentially a snapshot of Debian sarge as of April 2005 that includes an easy-to-use, graphical installer and a fully integrated GNOME desktop environment.
It is an ideal distribution for anyone seeking a more or less standard Debian environment that is also easy to install and use.
Progeny Debian 3.0 Developer Edition includes all Componentized Linux technologies. As such, it is also an excellent development platform for builders of Componentized Linux-based custom distributions.
Progeny Debian 3.0 Developer Edition is based on Debian sarge (with some components derived from Debian sid) and includes the following features from Componentized Linux:
* LSB 3.0 compatible runtime with extensions (e.g., CUPS 1.1 printing support, Discover 2.0 hardware detection support, etc.)
* Prototype LSB 3.0 development environment.
* Linux 2.6 with integrated NVIDIA graphics drivers
* Sun Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 1.4 runtime and SDK
* Mono 1.0 runtime and SDK
* Complete desktop environment including XFree86 4.3 and GNOME 2.8 with integrated support for popular audio, graphics, and video file formats
* Evolution 2.0
* Mozilla 1.7 and Mozilla Firefox 1.0
* Openoffice.org 1.1
* Emacs and VIM editors
* Componentized Linux development tools, including component development and maintenance tools, the Anaconda for Debian installer, and picax for creating Anaconda-based ISO images.
What's New in This Release:
The mono-1.0 component has been updated to Debian unstable as of 5/16/2005.
All other components have been updated to Debian sarge as of 5/12/2005.
JFS support has been fixed.
The alternative file systems (JFS, XFS, and ReiserFS) have been turned on by default.
Progeny Debian 3.0 Preview 2 keywords