FreeImage 3.9.2 reviewDownload
FreeImage is an Open Source library project for developers who would like to support popular graphics image formats in their software
FreeImage is an Open Source library project for developers who would like to support popular graphics image formats in their software.
FreeImage libraries are available in both binary and source distributions.
Here are some key features of "FreeImage":
Supports many formats, such as:
BMP files [reading, writing]
DDS files [reading]
Dr. Halo files [reading] *
GIF files [reading, writing]
HDR files [reading, writing]
ICO files [reading, writing]
IFF files [reading]
JBIG [reading, writing] **
JNG files [reading]
JPEG/JIF files [reading, writing]
KOALA files [reading]
LBM files [reading]
Kodak PhotoCD files [reading]
MNG files [reading]
PCX files [reading]
PBM files [reading, writing]
PGM files [reading, writing]
PNG files [reading, writing]
PPM files [reading, writing]
PhotoShop files [reading]
Raw Fax G3 files [reading]
SGI files [reading]
Sun RAS files [reading]
TARGA files [reading, writing]
TIFF files [reading, writing]
WBMP files [reading, writing]
XBM files [reading]
XPM files [reading, writing]
* only grayscale
** only via external plugin, might require a commercial license
Not limited to the local PC. The unique FreeImageIO structure makes it possible to load your images from virtually anywhere. Possibilities include standalone files, memory, cabinet files and the Internet, all this without recompiling the library!
Plugin driven. The internal engine is made completely modular using a clever plugin system. Easily write new plugins and store them in DLL files or embed the plugins directly into your application!
Color conversion. FreeImage provides many functions to convert a bitmap from one bitdepth to another. The library supports 1-, 4-, 8-, 16, 24- and 32-bit images, as well as integer, real and complex images.
Support for High Dynamic Range images. FreeImage supports RGB float images as well a 48-bit HDR images and provides tone mapping operators to convert these images to 24-bit LDR images.
Directly access bitmap bits and palette. Functions are provided which allow you to directly access the bitmap palette (if available) and bitmap bits.
Metadata support. Parse common metadata models attached to your bitmap. FreeImage supports Comments, Exif (including GPS and maker notes), IPTC, Adobe XMP and GeoTIFF metadata models.
Written in portable C++, should compile on all 32-bit Windows, Linux and Mac OSX systems. Full source code is provided.
Open Source Dual-License. You can choose the license that has the most advantages for you: Use the liberal FreeImage Public License to use FreeImage commercially or the GNU General Public License to use FreeImage into your open source project.
Easily integrates into DirectX and OpenGL. Only a minimum of programming is necessary to store a FreeImage bitmap into a DirectDraw surface or to use FreeImage to load your Direct3D/OpenGL textures.
Provides basic image manipulation routines such as rotation, resizing, flipping or color adjustments, as well as lossless JPEG transformations.
Provides test programs to "show-off" the library, compilable and startable on Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 or on Linux.
What's New in This Release:
+ [Herve Drolon] added full support for 16-bit greyscale and 48-bit RGB to the PNM plugin
+ [Herve Drolon] added IPTC writing support to JPEG & TIFF plugins
+ [Herve Drolon] added new Exif maker note tags
+ [Herve Drolon] added FreeImage_JPEGCrop
+ [Thorsten Radde] added support for 8-bit palettized bitmaps in FreeImage_RotateClassic
+ [Matt Rice] added automatic call to FreeImage_Initialise / FreeImage_DeInitialise when using FreeImage as a .so
+ [Martin Dyring-Andersen] added FreeImage_LoadMultiBitmapFromMemory to the multi-page API
+ [Herve Drolon] added support for tiled TIFF images
* [Carsten Klein] fixed a bug in FreeImage_SetMetadata occuring when deleting a tag
* [Herve Drolon] fixed a bug in PNG plugin when reading Macromedia 'false' PNG files
* [Thorsten Radde] added resolution support to PluginPSD
* [Ryan Rubley] fixed a bug in PluginGIF occuring with interlaced GIF
* [Ryan Rubley] fixed a bug in the multipage cache mechanism (internal FreeImage_FindBlock function)
* [Thorsten Radde] fixed a stack corruption in TIFF plugin occuring when reading exif tags
* [checkered] fixed a bug in the multipage cache mechanism causing VS2005 to crash on multipage files
* [Herve Drolon] fixed a bug with transparency support of 1- and 4-bit images
* [Roar Flolo] fixed a bug in PSD plugin when reading non compressed RGB images (alpha channel initialization)
* [Nicolas Hatier] fixed a bug in PluginGIF when using the GIF_PLAYBACK flag
* [Herve Drolon] fixed a bug in TIFF plugin when saving 8-bit images using LZW with differenciation
* [Herve Drolon] fixed 64-bit compilation issue with LibPNG and assembler code
FreeImage 3.9.2 keywords