pyCDK 0.1 reviewDownload
pyCDK is a set of Python bindings (using Pyrex) to the Curses Development Kit
pyCDK is a set of Python bindings (using Pyrex) to the Curses Development Kit. It allows users to access high level curses widgets like the calendar, buttonbox, scrolling list, message box, etc. CDK is great, it really makes building complex curses applications much easier. I have used it before from C and Perl but no Python binding existed in this toolkit that I could find anyway.
pyCDK is strictly a text interface module, if you are looking to write a full fledged GUI in python then I highly recommend wxPython and wxGlade
This is a short guide for install:
1. Make sure you have Pyrex installed (version 0.82+).
2. Download and install CDK from Thomas Dickey's site
untar/gz the source archive
cd into it
3. Download the pycdk package from here
4. If necessary, modify setup.py by adding the include and lib directories for CDK. The relevant portion is:
include_dirs = ['/usr/local/include/cdk', '/usr/include']
library_dirs = ['/usr/local/lib', '/usr/lib']
(I installed CDK with the default prefix of /usr/local.)
5. Run setup.py install (as root)
6. Every widget has a minimal example under pycdk/examples
7. Consult the man pages for CDK if you have a question that the examples don't make clear. Also, it may be that what you are after just isn't wrapped yet. In that case send me a note or better yet, send me a patch !
pyCDK 0.1 search tags